Either you are a civil engineer or a contractor or owner planning to construct a building or other construction works, it is necessary for you to select good quality of bricks as construction materials.
You do not have to build a perfect wall. You have to lay a perfect brick.Will Smith
Like this proverb, you can not build a perfect wall without perfect bricks and other building materials. So in this article, I am sharing the tips with which you can easily select and identify the bricks of good quality.
You may also love to read: Calculation process to find the quantity of cement sand for plastering
How to select good quality of bricks for construction work ?
- Bricks should be standard size as specified per dimension (230 × 110 × 55)mm.
- Note: The size of brick may vary from county to country.
- When two bricks are struck with one another, it should give clear metallic ringing sound.
- Bricks should be well burnt and should possess sharp edges.
- A good brick should not absorb water more than 20% of its dry weight. At any case absorption should not exceed 25%
- A good brick should possess required compressive strength should not be less than 35kg/cm2.
- It should be hard enough so that it is not scratched by a fingernail i.e. impression should be made on the surface.
- A very rough test for testing strength of brick, brick fall freely from a height about 2m on to a hard surface floor, it should not break.
- Specific gravity should be greater than 1.8.
- The brick should have uniform color and structure throughout its body.
- The recommended standard size of an ideal brick is 230mm-110mm-55mm which with mortar joints gives net dimensions of 240mm-120mm-65mm.
Join our Facebook group: Engineering Knowledge
Sharing is caring. 😊😊